(Information taken from the Department of Education)
- The Government believes that the Pupil Premium, which is additional to main school funding, is the best way to address the current underlying inequalities between children eligible for free school meals (FSM) and their peers by ensuring that funding to tackle disadvantage reaches the pupils who need it most.
- The Pupil Premium was introduced in April 2011 and is allocated to schools to work with pupils who have been registered for free school meals at any point in the last six years (known as ‘Ever 6 FSM’).
- Schools also receive funding for children who have been looked after continuously for more than six months, and children of service personnel.
The Government believes that head teachers and school leaders should decide how to use the Pupil Premium. They are held accountable for the decisions they make through:
- the performance tables which show the performance of disadvantaged pupils compared with their peers
- the new Ofsted inspection framework, under which inspectors focus on the attainment of pupil groups, in particular those who attract the Pupil Premium
- the new reports for parents that schools now have to publish online
In most cases the Pupil Premium is paid direct to schools, allocated to them for every pupil who receives free school meals. Schools decide how to use the funding, as they are best placed to assess what additional provision their pupils need.
Is your child entitled to Pupil Premium?
You may apply for free school meals if you are entitled to receive one of the following:
- Income Support (IS)
- Income based Job Seekers Allowance (IBJSA)
- An Income- related Employment Support Allowance (ESA(IR))
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- Child Tax credit (provided you are not entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual income, assessed by HM Revenue and Customs, that from 6th April 2009 does not exceed £16,190)
- The Guarantee element of State Pension Credit
If you fulfil any of the above criteria and wish to apply, please complete an application and return it to the address at the bottom of the form. You can collect a form from school office or it is available to download using the following link:
If you require any further information please do not hesitate to contact the school office or your child’s class teacher.